Student chocked to death by bread in eating competition

A celebration to award ‘fast eaters’ organized by Sikura Primary School in Butula, Busia Countyin has turned tragic after a 16-year-old boy, who was one of the contesters, choked to death by bread.

The teachers and fellow pupils tried to administer first aid but did not bear any fruit as he succumbed on his way to hospital.

“He was choked by the piece of bread that stuck in his throat and fell unconscious and failed to respond to first aid assistance from teachers and fellow pupils. The school management rushed him to hospital but he was pronounced dead on arrival at Buluani dispensary, a few meters away from the school,” Butula sub-county police chief Jacob Chelimo said.

The school had organized bread eating competition to celebrate the school closing day. When the signal sounded, Harrison Oduor Ouma was prepared to win just as any other person in an eating contest would do — he started shoveling bread slices into his mouth as quickly as possible. However, the toasts of bread stuck in his throat leading to death.

One thought on “Student chocked to death by bread in eating competition

  1. Paul says:

    We thank God

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *