User Guide for Filing of Individual Income Tax Resident Return (ITR) For Employment Income Only
To file your Individual Income Tax Resident (ITR) Return kindly follow the steps below:
- Log onto the i-Tax profile with your PIN and password
- Go to the Returns menu, select ‘File Return’, choose Tax Obligation as ‘Income Tax – Resident Individual’ then click ‘Next’.
- Download the Excel/ODS Template using the link provided.
Steps to file the excel offline return template
- Provide all the mandatory details for ‘Basic_Info’ sheet of the return and click on ‘Next’ to proceed.
- Provide the details of the employment income for the year in Section F (Employment Income) that is starting from row A3 to G3.
- In column H (H6 – H9) of Section F specify the gross income which was earned between January to March and April to December together with their respective pension contributions as per the P9 Form issued by the employer. (NB: NO Business Income Should Be Declared Here).
- Proceed to Section M (Details_of_PAYE_Deducted) and fill the PAYE details as per the P9 Form for the whole year.
- For taxpayers with Mortgage Interest, the extra sheet that opens when this option is selected (Section Computation Mortgage) should be completed based on the mortgage interest paid for the period
- For taxpayers with House Ownership Savings Plan (HOSP), the extra sheet that opens when this option is selected (Section K_Home Ownership Savings Plan) should be completed based on the HOSP contribution for the period
- Proceed to section T (Tax Computation) and capture the total pension for the year in line 11.1 and ensure it adds up to the amount declared under sheet F for
Capture the Personal Relief for the year in line 12.6 to a maximum limit of Kshs. 25,824.
- Click ‘VALIDATE’ to validate the return and generate an upload file for uploading to i-Tax once you have confirmed the tax due/refund.
- Taxpayers with Business Income will complete the necessary sections as usual (e.g. Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet) when they answer ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Do you have any income other than business income’ in the Basic Information section.
- Navigate back to the Returns Menu, select ‘File Return’, choose Tax Obligation as ‘Income Tax – Resident Individual,’ then click ‘Next’ and click on browse to upload the zip file and submit your return.
We can also file the returns for you at a small fee. Text Elibrary 0700584968
Here is the quickest way on how to file your 2021 tax returns for employment only (p9) Watch the video below.
We can also file the returns for you at a small fee. Text Elibrary on 0700584968