- People have not been given the assurance that their data will not be used for nefarious activities. 2mks
- Giving clear explanation to Kenyans on what precisely Huduma Namba is. 2mks
- Benefits of the Swedish personnummer
-Plan and provide for social services
-Mapping out unemployed adults for monthly stipends
-Aid government to know where to build more schools, hospitals, colleges and industries
-Map out number of vulnerable people in need of support.
-Track down suspected criminals thus enhancing sescurity
Mark 4 points @1mk. Deduct 50% for wrong format (not answering in notes)
- Disseminate information strategically to reach a majority of Kenyans to enhance the awareness of the Huduma Namba. 2mks
- All Kenyans above age six are entitled to Huduma Namba then upon attainment of age 18, they can choose to register as voters or not thus enhancing their civic rights.2mks.
- Receptive – Huduma Namba will streamline service delivery and reduce
-Huduma Namba will reduce the number of documents one needs to access government service
– Open minded – The writer looks forward to the brighter side of Huduma Namba albeit
with some improvements in the process of registration.
Mark any correct attitude (1mk) and correct illustration (1mk)
- Huduma Namba will streamline service delivery, won’t it?
- Appreciative – Writer appreciates the new service to be brought by the Huduma Namba
Supportive – Writer supports the new the registration of Huduma Namba
i) Registration apathy – Poor turn out during registration
ii) Nefarious –Unlawful or wicked activity
iii) Stipend – Monetary support for the vulnerable in society.
Question 2: set text
- Mrs. Linde says, “I only feel my life unspeakably empty,” Briefly explain what happens to her before this excerpt regarding this statement. (4mks)
- Her husband died / she’s a widow.
- She is jobless / she has no money.
- She has no children of her own.
- Her mother is dead.
- Her brothers are all grown-ups and do not need her anymore.
(Accept any 4 points. One mark each)
- Briefly discuss any major thematic concern brought out in this excerpt. (2mks)
- Hopelessness – Mrs. Linde feels hopeless after suffering so much loss in her life.
- Love and friendship – Mrs. Linde turns to her long-time friend, Nora for help.
- Pain and suffering – Mrs. Linde explains her pain and suffering, “The worst of a position like mine is that it makes one so bitter.”
(Accept any other relevant, well-illustrated theme. Identification = 1mk, Illustration = 1mk)
- Identity and illustrate any character trait brought out in this excerpt regarding. (4mks)
- Observant – “…and you look tired out now”
- Concerned – “…better go away to some watering-place.”
- Helpful / supportive / kind / caring
- She promises to help get Mrs. Linde a job at the bank through a husband.
- “How kind you are, Nora, to be so anxious to help me!”
- Calculating / tactical / manipulative / cunning / scheming / devious – “I will broach the subject very cleverly – will think of something that will please him very much.”
- Mrs. Linde
- Honest / sincere – I was delighted not so much on your account as on my own. She admits that she is bitter / selfish.
- Opportunistic –
- Condescending / patronizing – she tells Nora, “…you know so little of the burdens and
troubles of life.”
- She calls Nora ‘a child’.
(Expect 2 traits. Accept any other well illustrated trait. Identification: 1mk x2, Illustration: 1mk x2. Total = 4mks)
- Nora says that she has not told Mrs. Linde ‘the important thing’. Briefly explain what this is.
- Nora borrowed a loan of two hundred and fifty pounds from the bank without her husband’s knowledge.
- She used the money to take her husband to Italy to recover from illness.
- Nora lied to her husband that the money was given to her by her late father.
- Identify and illustrate any two forms of style in the extract. (4mks)
- Sarcasm – “I have no father to give me money for a journey, Nora.”
- Metaphor – “You are a child, Nora.”
- Rhetorical question – “I –? I know so little of them?”
(Expect 2 forms of style. Accept any other well illustrated style. Identification, 1mk, Illustration 1mk x 2 = 4mks)
- From this excerpt, Nora promises to get Mrs. Linde a job. From later in the text, how does this decision negatively affect Nora? (3mks)
- Helmer dismisses Krogstad for committing forgery and hires Mrs. Linde to take his place.
- Krogstad threatens to reveal Nora’s secret about the loan if she does not help him to retain his job.
- Nora is unable to convince Helmer to change his mind and Krogstad reveals her secret in a letter to Helmer.
- Helmer disowns Nora who leaves her family.
- You are just like the others. (Add a question tag) (1mk)
- aren’t’ you?
- “I have no father to give me money for a journey, Nora.” What is ironical about this statement?
The irony is that Nora did not get money for their journey to Italy from her father. She got it through her own efforts / borrowed a loan from the bank.
- Explain the meaning of the following words as used in the extract. (2mks)
A remote / distant / isolated / far-off / inaccessible place.
Nothings / small issues
POETRY – ‘IF’
- The persona is possibly a father. 1mk Line 8 stanza 4 “And which is more – you’ll be a Man, my son!” 1mk
ii) -The persona is hopeful/optimistic towards life.
“Keep your head ………when all are losing theirs’
“Lose and start again”
- He is focused
“Dream – but not make dreams your master.”
- The persona does not give up easily.
Any 1 and illustration = 2mks
iii) The words “Triumphant and Disaster” have been personified to fit the human character
of being imposters. (And treat those two imposters just the same)
iv) Personification- Disaster and triumph have been given a human character trait of being
- Metaphor – “keep your head “ – Stay sane
Make any two 1mk state /1mk illustration = Total 4mks
v) The tone is persuasive /convincing/encouraging the son on how to overcome the
in life to be a man.
vi) The persona does not look at losing as the end. He believes on second chances.
He says “Never breath a word about your loss” You don’t have to dwell on your loss.
vii (a) And stoop and build ‘em up – Humble yourself, go back to the beginning and rebuild what
has been broken.
b) And never breath a word –And never complain about the loss
c) Walk with Kings – Socialize/Mingle with the high and mighty in society
viii) To be a man
– Trust yourself always
– Never tire of waiting
– Don’t give way to hate Any 4 points. 1mk each. Total 4mks
– Bear with liars
– Overcome loss
– Keep the virtue
– Never lose common touch
3a (i) Had Ochieng asked, I would have been able to assist.
ii) Were I the minister for National Security, I would have ensured tighter security checks at the borders.
iii) It was not until Onesmus had started the race that the teacher realized how fast he was.
b) ( i) Contortions ii) Deletions
c) i) overboard ii) backstage
d) i) small, square, metal, jewelry ii) powerful, combined , military
e) i) with, in ii) in, at
f) i) I regret that Iam about to disturb you
ii) I regret /apologize that I have already disturbed you