REF: KNEC/EA/EM/KCSE/CIR/PROJECT/2022/001 31st May, 2022
i) All Sub County Directors of Education
- All Principals of Secondary Schools Presenting Candidates for 2022 KCSE Examination
- Principals of Secondary Schools Hosting 2022 KCSE Private Candidates
SUBJECT: INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONDUCT OF THE YEAR 2022 KCSE
PROJECTS AND PRACTICALS FOR GROUP IV AND V SUBJECTS
- 2022 KCSE PROJECTS GUIDELINES
The administration of the 2022 KCSE commenced with projects and practical performance for the group IV subjects i.e., Art & Design (442/3), Agriculture (443/3), Woodwork (444/2), Metalwork (445/ 2), Building Construction (446/2) and Computer Studies (451/3).
In this regard, The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) wishes to guide as follows:
- The instructions for KCSE subjects with a Project component were uploaded to the KNEC website: www.knec-portaluacnke as per the 2022 KCSE timetable.
- All Principals or Sub County Directors of Education (in the case of private candidates) should access the instructions by logging on to the KNEC website www.knec-portaW.acake and clicking on 2022 Project/ Practical button to download all the instructions related to the subjects the candidates are registered for.
- The Principal/Subject teacher or Sub County Director of Education (for private candidates) should access the instructions by logging into the KNEC Project/Practical portal using the User Code and Password for the examination centre.
- A user manual is available on the KNEC projects portal guiding on how to log into the projects portal to download the advance instructions, key in the candidates’ scores, upload photographic evidence, download and print reports on the milestones.
It is important for all Principals, Subject teachers and Sub County
Directors of Education to take note of the following innovations
HEAD OFFICE: National Housing Corporation Building, Aga Khan Walk, P O Box 73598 — 00200 City Square, NAIROBI, KENYA Telephone: (+254-20) 341098/50/71, 317419/12/13, 341113 Fax (+254-20) 2226032
E-mail: ceo(å)knec.ac.ke; Website: www.knec.ac.ke
which KNEC has put in place to guide the assessment of Group IV Projects:
1.5.1 The Projects’ assessment will have two (02) key milestones:
• Milestone I, which must be uploaded by 31st July 2022
Milestone Il, which must be uploaded by 31st October 2022
1.52 At the end of each milestone, the Subject Teachers are expected to key in the candidates’ scores and upload the pictorial evidence on the Project portal. The pictorial evidence should be a group photograph of the candidates at their workstations in either Graphic Interface Format (egif) or JPEG (jpg) formate
1.5B Milestone I scores must be keyed in and uploaded by 31 st July 2022 and Milestone Il by 31 st October 2022 as elaborated in the schedule below:
Table 1 Schedule for uploading the 2022 KCSE examination Group IV subjects project scores.
|SINO.||Paper Code||Subject||Date For Uploading Projects on the KNEC Portal||Deadline for Uploading the Scores and Pictorial Evidence for Milestone I 31 st July 2022||Deadline for Uploading the Scores and Pictorial Evidence for Milestone Il|
|i)||442/3 Pro-ect||Art and Design||By 26th April, 2022|
|442/3 3D Project||By 31 st July 2022||N/A||31 st October 2022|
|443/3||Agriculture||By 26th April, 2022||31 st July 2022||31 st October 2022|
|444/2||Woodwork||By 26th April, 2022||31 st July 2022||31 st October 2022|
|445/2||Metalwork||By 26th April, 2022||31 st July 2022||31 st October 2022|
|v)||446/ 2||Building Construction||By 26th April, 2022||31 st July 2022||31 st October 2022|
|vi)||451/3||Computer Studies||By 26th April, 2022||31 st July 2022||31 st October 2022|
1.5.4 The project portal will only be accessible for keying in and uploading of milestone I from 1 st to 31 st July 2022 and milestone Il from 1 st to 31st October 2022.
- It is the responsibility of the Sub County Directors of Education (for private
candidates) or Principals to ensure the project work is done by the individual candidates without assistance and that the candidates’ scores are keyed in within the specified timelines.
- A penalty of five hundred shillings (Kes. 500.00) per candidate will be charged for failure to upload the scores within the specified timelines.
- The Kenya National Examinations Council will closely monitor the project progress and authenticity of the scores of all the candidates who registered for the 2022 KCSE Project/ Practical examination.
- The school and individual candidates will be expected to compile and maintain a portfolio (file) of evidence on the progress of the Project work to be presented for assessment and monitoring.
- It is important for all Sub County Directors of Education (for private candidates), Principals, Subject teachers, and candidates to note that all documents relating to assessment and conduct of examinations are confidential and must be handled as such, at all times.
2.0 GUIDELINES FOR KCSE 2022 ORAL/AURAL/ KCSE PRACTICAL PAPERS
2.1 The advance instructions for Art and Design Paper 2 (442/2) and Computer Studies Paper 2 (451/2) practical papers will be uploaded on the schools’ Project portal by 30th September, 2022 to enable schools to prepare materials in time for the examinations.
2.2 Keying in and uploading of candidates’ scores for KCSE examination papers with Oral, Aural and practical components for French Paper 3 (501/3), German Paper 3 (502/3), Arabic Paper 3 (503/3), Kenyan Sign Language Paper 3 (504/3) and Music Paper 1 (511/1) will be done by the assessors after the assessment of the candidates on the examination day as per the assessment timetable.
2.3 Keying in and uploading of Home Science practical (441/3) candidates’ scores will be done by the subject teachers after the assessment of the candidates on the examination day as per the assessment timetable.
3.0 EVIDENCE OF UPLOADED SCORES
All Principals/Subject teachers or Sub County Directors of Education (for private candidates) are expected to download the candidates’ scores report (in PDF format), print a hard copy of the uploaded scores for each milestone and maintain it as evidence. This is applicable to the subjects with a project and Home science (441/3) practical’s only.
4.0 HOST CENTRE FOR PRIVATE CANDIDATES
The Sub County Directors of Education with private candidates registered for Group Subjects IV with a project component should inform KNEC in writing on identified schools that are hosting the private candidates for the project/practical work.
5.0 You are kindly requested to facilitate and ensure compliance to the above instructions.
6.0 The Council thanks you for your continued support in administration of KCSE papers with projects and practical components.
Dr. David Njengere
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
cc: i) The Principal Secretary, State Department of Early Learning and Basic
Education – MOE ii) The Director General – MOE iii) The Director, Quality Assurance and Standards – MOE iv) The Director, Basic Education, State Department for Education – MOE
v) All Regional Directors of Education – MOE vi) All County Directors of Education – MOE vii) All County Directors, Teachers Service Commission